Monday 13 September 2010

Field and Fork, Chichester

Field and Fork has moved to become the restaurant for Pallant House Gallery, and this Sunday held a gastronomic menu as part of the Chichester Food Festival. My goodness, how glad I was to have gone! You could visit the various food stations and choose as many options as you wanted. The only difficulty was making the choice! Luckily I had my husband with me so we could try each others options. I started with the seafood quenelles in lobster sauce, which were very fishy, and reminded me of the quenelles that are so popular in Lyons when I ate there. I then tried the risotto with summer truffle. The truffle was shaved onto the risotto, and had a pungent earthy smell. Next to the beef cheek. I cannot remember when I last ate such a rich portion of beef - it reminded me of oxtail. A real melt in the mouth treat.
I was again stuck for choice with the puddings, but settled on the almond tartlet, and panacotta with lime and basil - both yummy! Finally, the cheese board, and I was pleased to find that all the cheeses were British. The Isle of Wight Blue was pungent (in a good way!) but my favourite was the Sharrock Bomb, a type of cheddar that you spooned out of a black 'bomb'. The texture was like a soft stilton, but with a strong cheddar flavour. I will be looking for a supplier for it, as it was the star of the show!
Children are welcome, although as there are foodies around it might not be the most relaxing atmosphere for them.
Verdict: Even on a normal day, the restaurant will outshine the gallery.
Details: Field & Fork, Pallant House Gallery, 01243 774557, PO19 1TJ

No comments:

Post a Comment